The British and Australians would seem to believe that their way is the right way, and the way of the US is the wrong way when it comes to many issues, the most prevalent and recent being – Gun Control.
Every murderous event repays the exact same sentiment, ignores the same statistics, and blames Republicans and Conservatives. Cuba. They have the same murder rate as the US – and NO personal guns. Venezuela. They have the second highest murder rate in the world. Brazil. Columbia, El Salvador. Honduras. Africa.
What are the common denominators, because what these poor, impoverished people don’t have is – guns? Corruption. Drugs. Gangs. Poverty.
Piers Morgan, a Brit, has had numerous debates with various proponents that advocate the upholding of the US 2nd Amendment. And while the laws within the 2nd Amendment have been tweeked and retweeked, each time there is a catastrophic event, Piers Morgan is in the limelight once again making his proclamations and demonstrative arguments for which he repeatedly fails to actually elicit statistical proof. Instead, he seems to serve more as a victim of debate failure.
The 2nd Amendment was created because in 1689 a British King, James II, attempted to establish a Monarchial edict whereby Catholics could own weapons, and Protestants could not. Codified in the English Bill of Rights, Parliament saw the ‘evil and subversion’ in this far reaching authority of the Crown and quashed it. The US was created to escape British rule – including the ability to make proclamations such as gun ownership.
The 2nd Amendment was created so that the over-reaching power of the government could not take away an inalienable right to bear arms whether to fight tyranny, organize a militia, or to protect their family and property. The US would NOT bow to English Monarchial attempts to subvert The People, all the people.
The argument against armed citizenry was the notion that the government army would not be powerful enough to squash a militia should a government military takeover be instituted. And this control over the people was paramount. Noah Webster was against citizen armament and stated, “Before a standing army can rule the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States.”
In other words, if the federal government, on any pretense, wanted to declare Martial Law, if citizens were armed, Martial Law would not prevail.
Piers Morgan believes that if multiple round guns are eliminated, there will be no more mass shootings… which of course is extremely short-sighted and simplistic. If we truly want to find a solution, then looking at those countries whose statistics and demographics might help us gain insight is much more productive.
Australia argues that it isn’t an immigration issue because they have an immigrant population of 28% and a significantly low murder rate. But they’ve always had a low murder rate, even before they instituted gun control measures. What they don’t mention is the fact that ‘MOST” immigration visa’s are ‘Skilled Occupation” which was instituted in 1996, the same year they instituted reformed gun control. As a result, they prime select who is allowed to immigrate, the rest are deported or put in a 4 year detention facility on a remote island! That, my friend, is Cherry Picking! Of the approximate 4.75million immigrants that are accounted by country of origin, 1.3million come from countries that might be considered ‘border-line’. The rest come from the UK, Germany, France, US, New Zealand, China, Italy, etc… to either work in a pre-approved field, or to go to university. Still, a disproportionate amount of welfare monies are spent on immigrants. Tch. Tch.
Simply stating one part of the whole of the data has little value.
Of the Mass Shootings in the US during Obama’s tenure there are interesting demographics outside of the blame the GUNS rhetoric, and the racial identity is even more News Worthy:
1) Fort Hood Massacre – 2009: US Army Major and psychiatrist – Muslim, radicalized by al Qaeda; prior to shooting described as Schizoid, belligerent, Paranoid and disconnected. Used 1 semi-automatic handgun with high capacity.
2) Aurora Movie Theater Shooting – 2012: Growing up upper middle class, pursuing his PhD, his desire to kill was a ten year dream. He was seeing a psychiatrist and the school authorities were alerted to his potential threat weeks before.
3) Newton School Shooting – 2012: Lanza grew up in a wealthy household, was diagnosed with Aspergers and was called ‘deeply troubled’. Used guns from his mother’s collection.
4) San Bernardino Mass Shooting – 2015: Two American Muslims radicalized in Saudi Arabia to ISIS, they used two rifles
5) Orlando Nightclub Massacre – 2016: Muslim terrorist swore allegiance to ISIS and targeted the LGBT community. Used a semi-automatic rifle and a glock.
6) Burlington, Washington – 2016; Arcan Cetin, an Hispanic male opened fire in a shopping mall killing five using a semi-automatic rifle.
7) Rosenburg, Oregon – 2015: Harper-Mercer shot and killed 8 students and a teacher. He purchased his 14 weapons from southern California. He was discharged from the Army with mental issues, and diagnosed as having mental issues from a young age going to a special needs school. He described himself as being “mixed race”.
8) Chattanooga, Tennessee – 2015: Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez (safe to say he was Muslim) opened fire on a military center killing 5 and injuring 3.
9) Charleston, SC – 2015: Dylann Roof, a white supremacist killed 9 black people at a Episcopal church.
10) Isla Vista, CA – 2014: Born in the UK and of British and Malaysian race, diagnosed within the Autism spectre, and prescribed anti-psychotics for schizophrenia, he used his BMW, knives, and handguns, executing 6 and injuring 7.
11) Washington Navy Yard – 2013: Aaron Alexis, a Navy contractor and a black man, killed 13 and injured 3 using a shotgun and a pistol.
Out of eleven incidents – we have five Muslims, one black, two mixed race, one Hispanic, two whites previously diagnosed with mental illness, and one white supremacist.
And in fact, 23 ‘described’ mass shootings occurred under the Nobel Peace Prize winning – Obama.
Not exactly the all white male supremacists that the media is touting, or an angry white male professor is touting, or the Hollywooders at large – are touting!! Sometimes a bit of research unravels a lot of deception.